My photo
A lover of the liberal arts, especially antiquity in its diverse forms, I am nonetheless wholly devoted to, utterly transformed by divine revelation. I seek to know the thought of the past, articulate my deepest longings aroused by the wise, and understand the uneasy relationship between reason and revelation; all for the sake of proper action and contemplation, both now and in the future.

9.06.2007

What's in a name? A quick note from Timberly

So I always introduce myself with my full name. "Hi, I'm Timothy." "Nice to meet you!" Etc., Etc. BUT - after I meet these people, a few days later, my name has magically lost two of its syllables! Amazing.

So I guess it's cool, having a three or more syllable name when everyone chops them up. Especially interesting is the fact that some people chop it faster than others. For example, Leah from Anderson dorm cut it on Day II. But my RA still uses my full name. Lauren called me by my full name when first we met (long story) but the day after, it was "Tim".

It's just funny, I guess. I'm not irked or anything; I've gone by Tim for about 18 years running and it's unlikely to change. I suppose it is more of a social experiement than anything else.

But I bet St. Paul never used "Tim." I bet it was always "Timothy".

Just throwing that out there...
~Timothy

No comments: