My photo
A lover of the liberal arts, especially antiquity in its diverse forms, I am nonetheless wholly devoted to, utterly transformed by divine revelation. I seek to know the thought of the past, articulate my deepest longings aroused by the wise, and understand the uneasy relationship between reason and revelation; all for the sake of proper action and contemplation, both now and in the future.

9.24.2008

Studying Greek at 5AM

Yeah, I'm back to 5AM Greek sessions. Remember those times in Fe, when I'd stay up till 3AM learning that darn Luschnig? Well it paid off and now I can sleep instead if I get up at five to finish my translation. And speaking of translation, it's getting easier. I still hate Sophocles (Don't tell Maxine), but with the aid of Lenore the Lexicon and the occasional peek at Perseus (everyone uses it here but it feels like cheating!!), I do okay:

(Lines 255-268)
οὐδ᾽ εἰ γὰρ ἦν τὸ πρᾶγμα μὴ θεήλατον,
ἀκάθαρτον ὑμᾶς εἰκὸς ἦν οὕτως ἐᾶν,
ἀνδρός γ᾽ ἀρίστου βασιλέως τ᾽ ὀλωλότος,
ἀλλ᾽ ἐξερευνᾶν: νῦν δ᾽ ἐπεὶ κυρῶ γ᾽ ἐγὼ
ἔχων μὲν ἀρχὰς ἃς ἐκεῖνος εἶχε πρίν,
260ἔχων δὲ λέκτρα καὶ γυναῖχ᾽ ὁμόσπορον,
κοινῶν τε παίδων κοίν᾽ ἄν, εἰ κείνῳ γένος
μὴ 'δυστύχησεν, ἦν ἂν ἐκπεφυκότα:
νῦν δ᾽ ἐς τὸ κείνου κρᾶτ᾽ ἐνήλαθ᾽ ἡ τύχη:
ἀνθ᾽ ὧν ἐγὼ τάδ᾽, ὡσπερεὶ τοὐμοῦ πατρός,
265ὑπερμαχοῦμαι κἀπὶ πᾶν ἀφίξομαι,
ζητῶν τὸν αὐτόχειρα τοῦ φόνου λαβεῖν,
τῷ Λαβδακείῳ παιδὶ Πολυδώρου τε καὶ
τοῦ πρόσθε Κάδμου τοῦ πάλαι τ᾽ Ἀγήνορος.

Even if this was a deed not driven on by a god,
It would not be proper for you to leave it, uncleansed,
since a good man has been destroyed, a king. Search it out.
Now, since I hold the power which he held previously,
and hold the bed and wife he sewed together
we would have common things of common children,
if his race had not been unfortunate, who would have been born
(but as it is, fortune leapt upon his head)
Because of these things I will fight as though he were my father,
I shall go to all things, seeking with my own hand to grasp the murderer
of the son of Labdakos and [the son of] Polydoros and before him
of Kadmus and of ancient Agenor.

What do you think?

No comments: