My photo
A lover of the liberal arts, especially antiquity in its diverse forms, I am nonetheless wholly devoted to, utterly transformed by divine revelation. I seek to know the thought of the past, articulate my deepest longings aroused by the wise, and understand the uneasy relationship between reason and revelation; all for the sake of proper action and contemplation, both now and in the future.

8.26.2007

HRCAC07. Support Staff. St. John's Freshman Semester Looms Large.

Well it was quite the summer. I spent seven weeks as an Assistant Counselor and then two and a half as support staff; I worked in the barn and in the kitchen. Undoubtedly it was the best summer of my life. I could not possibly have done anything better.

There is a LOT I could say about everything - the AC inside jokes, our crazy trips to Eagle River, our hilarious camper stories, and the wonderful seven weeks we spent together. Truly we had a taste of heaven this summer.

Nor is there a shortage of tales I could say of my weeks working at the barn and kitchen: I could tell of Becky Webber, my wonderful boss, of Sean the wrangler, with whom I had countless discussions regarding the Way,
of the struggle to learn the barn ropes, of working with fiesty Tonka, and more. "And by X I mean Y...."

And in the kitchen? The raw chicken story, the multiple kitchen raids, from double bacon buttercheeseburgers to pizza, to the dessert pleadings to the freezer challenge to the Last Hurrah. There is so much to tell.

And yet, it is all written in my journal and there is little point in recounting a full course of the summer. Rather I will look ahead to my freshman fall semester.

I leave Tuesday morning around 0600 to find O'Hare airport and leave at 10:30 AM. I arrive in Albuquerque that afternoon and take a shuttle to Santa Fe and thereby to St. John's. I am dropped off at the Visitor's Center and there the college life starts.

It would be needless to say I am exited. I am so exited for this school year. I feel as though I am plunging ahead without pause, wading farther out into deeper and deeper water. This both intoxicates and gives me cause for concern, but it is akin to jumping off of Presque Isle: throw caution to the winds and the Devil take the consequences!

When I am at St. John's, I must remember to:
  • Find my dorm
  • Find a job
  • Find the music classrooms with the grand pianos
  • Get a copy of the Illiad from the library.
  • Read Books I through VI of the Illiad to prepare for first seminar.
So I will be quite busy. On the 29th of August the freshman arrive and my soon-to-be-classmates will show up.

Did I mention I was exited?

No comments: