My photo
A lover of the liberal arts, especially antiquity in its diverse forms, I am nonetheless wholly devoted to, utterly transformed by divine revelation. I seek to know the thought of the past, articulate my deepest longings aroused by the wise, and understand the uneasy relationship between reason and revelation; all for the sake of proper action and contemplation, both now and in the future.

6.14.2007

Leaving, Birthdays, Summer Music

My birthday is tomorrow. I will be 18 years of age. Many people are older than this but I am in all honesty quite excited. I have a great God who is patient with me, a great family and great friends. I have been blessed beyond what I can imagine. I just need to remember that when I can't pay my tuition bill.

18 is a pretty cool year. It's the year when most guys start thinking about joining the Army. Most just toy with the idea and then put it aside. For years I was certain I wasn't going to do that. I knew that I would enlist on my 18th birthday. But God had other ideas.

St. John's just landed in my lap. I have no idea where it came from or how it found me. But I fell in love with it, visited, applied, and was accepted. So on 28 August I leave for Santa Fe, New Mexico to study Philosophy and Mathematics, with a double minor in music and language. It will be intense, reading all those classics, but it will be time worth spent.

Also in the last year I became a spiritual member of the Roman Catholic Church. I didn't see that coming either. I knew they were heretics. But God saw fit to enlighten me and used many people to bring me home. This is a shout out to people like Victoria and Ben who cured my misconceptions and set me on the quest for truth. Thanks be to God, for truth is a real concept and can be attained.

18 is a cool year. I can vote, participate in the process of choosing our great Republic's leaders, as cynical as I may be about the whole process. One doesn't become a libertarian/anarcho capitalist without a healthy dose of cynicism. But a little more cynicism could save the world! Spam? Gone. Sales calls? Gone. Media advertisements? Gone. Politicians? Dead. See? It is a marvelous concept.

It will be a good year. I have enjoyed being 17, and believe that it was the best year of my life to date. I learned a lot and I even changed a lot. I never thought that would happen, that I could say, "I'm not the same person I was six months ago." But now I can.

Soli Gloria Deo Patris, Deo Filius, et Deo Spiritus Sanctus! Amen.

No comments: